the 47 hour work week

The 47 Hour Work Week

Did you know in the U.S. your average work week tallies up to 47 hours? That’s an extra full days work for your standard fivethe 47 hour work week day 9-to-5 work week. These statistics include those who are full-time, American, adults. 42% who are 18 years or older work your average 40 hours a week, while 50% reported working longer hours than that.

There’s nothing wrong with putting in a little “overtime” and increasing your paycheck, but working these hours could make you begin to resent your job and place of work. “Long work hours may impair personal health, jeopardize safety, and increase stress”, according to a OECD(Organisation for Economic Co-operation Development) report. Here are 4 reasons why you may resent your job:

Why We Resent The 47 Hour Work Week:

1. Feeling obligated to work. The feeling of obligation and work comes from the fact you are inclined to be there. Even if you don’t hate your job you probably hate the fact you are forced to work. Also the repetition that you do at a regular job. When it’s all the same day after day, month after month, year after year, and so on. The repetition and obligation can take all the fun right out of ones work-life. Or life itself.

2. Stress and work-life balance. Go to sleep. Wake up. Head to work. Traffic jam. Work. Return to traffic jam. Arrive home. Couple hours of t.v. or some other activity. Sleep. Repeat. This may sound slightly familiar to most who are in the 9-to-5 work routine. Again there is nothing wrong with it, but if you are looking for a healthier work-life stay with me.

Working too often is stressful as it takes away time from other commitments and activities. We’ve all been there, having your plans completely shattered because you had to be at work or were asked to stay “late”. Maybe you missed one of your kids games, or a function a close friend was having. It’s not the end of the world, but admit it, it’s no fun missing those festive occasions.

The excessive hours and daily demands can put a strain on your personal relationships. Most of us even bring our work home with us, and treat it as a place to vent. Let’s look at a few tips which I hope can help you maintain a healthy work-life balance:

• Work smarter, not in excess. Give yourself reasonable time to finish tasks.
  • Take a break when you need it. Also try to get away from the workplace during lunches if possible.
  • Take personal responsibility for balancing a healthy work-life. When work gets too grueling or demanding, speak up for yourself, ask for assistance, or maybe purpose a better way to get the work at hand done.

Please feel free to comment below other useful methods to reducing stress at work!

“SENSIBLE PEOPLE GET PAID FOR DOING SOMETHING THEY ENJOY DOING” – Alan Watts

3. You think somewhere else would be better. This is the case of  the “grass is always greener on the other side”. I’m here to tell you, maybe it is. Maybe you can end up with better pay, better co-workers, better management. On the other hand it could decline your situation. I’m not telling you to quit your job. But if you are completely unhappy and stressed and it’s deriving from your current employment, perhaps it’s time to explore your options! Keep your current job yet look for other opportunities, there’s no harm in that. But stress from work could be be very harmful, literally.

the 47 hour work week

4. The Pay. Jobs and work are so abominable and boring that somebody is willing to pay you money to do it. A lot of people resent their jobs because the pay is just not enough. Now, the pay may not matter to some but for others, it’s everything. Some are happy with just getting by financially while others may seek a much more comfortable lifestyle.

Regardless, I like to encourage those who are unhappy with  their situation at work to explore their options. Who knows what you might discover. All it takes is for you to make a decision to do better and do it for You. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” – Confucius.

My Exciting Offer To You

My offer to you is an opportunity to make money online right from your home using a computer. This is not a get rich quick scheme, or a scam. This involves studying, effort, time and focus. So if your not up for it, no hard feelings and please continue to search for a suitable line of work that makes you happy! If interested start where I started not too long ago here at WealthyAffiliate.com.

Wealthy Affiliate basically is an online learn and earn training community. You will learn how to set up your very own website and learn how to profit from it. You do not need Wealthy Affiliate to set up a website, or to earn money online. But they have an excellent training course for beginners and for those with experience you can learn a lot using Wealthy Affiliate too. Not to mention it’s Free to use! To learn more about Wealthy Affiliate and why I recommend it every opportunity I get, click Here. Also feel free to leave questions or comments below.

Start My Free Wealthy Affiliate Account $0

16comments
    Lynne - 5 years ago

You really summed it up with the monotony, missing out of kids activities and also the daily grind of just getting into the rush hour traffic.
    I feel terrible for my husband right now, he is so stuck at his work. Overworked, underpaid and works overtime, brings work home and never has time off. I really want to help him start his own business soon, otherwise he is just going to get burnout.

Jason - 5 years ago

Yes and we have all been there. I hope you are able to aid him looking into other options as opposed to getting burned out. Work is work however. I simply wish to encourage anyone who is tired of the grind to start looking for valid ways to make a living. It can be done. Someone is interested in anything, meaning whatever your really into there is a following out there. And thus is how businesses are made! I wish the both of you luck and I appreciate the comment!

-Jason

sarah - 5 years ago

If my French compatriots had to work 47h per week they would go on strike immediately. Oh wait, they did that already! lol
    I see too many people who resent their job and end up depressed…. It’s a major issue here in France and I believe the main reason people hate their job is because we are not given the possibility to build our own businesses. The government creates too many laws and taxes that hamper business creation…
    But like you said in your article, it IS possible to create a home-based business and Wealthy Affiliate definitely is the best place to get started! It’s free to sign up and the best part of it is you can build a business based on one of your passions!
    You are offering a real alternative to people who aspire to more than a 9-5 job!
    Cheers
    Sarah

Jason - 5 years ago

Very true Sarah and thanks for leaving a comment.

I am very fortunate to have stumbled across Wealthy Affiliate. I have seen impressive results within the short time I have been utilizing WA. And like you said, it is wonderful how you can turn a passion into business! Even for those who may enjoy their 9-to-5. Their is a place for them at Wealthy Affiliate as they can pursue an interest and even a business of their own! Thanks again for visiting and leaving a comment.

-Jason

Jay - 5 years ago

There’s a difference between working and having a job. I wouldn’t mind working 47 hours if it was for my own business and beneficial to me. But when someone else if stealing my time and paying me low wages and living a lifestyle I can only dream about, I do resent it.

So the answer is to put your own skills and talents to work for you instead of someone else. I believe your article already have the answer to that. Nice article and well articulated 🙂

Jay

Jason - 5 years ago

Thanks Jay

Yes and a lot of people are understandably afraid of taking that first step of maybe trying something new or don’t understand. But like you said, when you make the decision of starting your own business and putting your own talents and time into it, there is no greater feeling. The sky’s the limit! Thanks for leaving a comment, be sure to visit often for new posts.

-Jason

robert Lawrence - 5 years ago

Jason,

This really is a well written article. i wish I could write the way you do. Very smooth and graceful.

As for the content, it’s a very real topic. We have all been raised to be “OK” with working a crazy amount. Some people even try to work more than the average because it’s the only way to get ahead.

Or at least they think it’s the only way to get ahead. I know there are better options and Wealthy Affiliate sounds like a good place to start.

Robert

Jason - 5 years ago

Very good point Robert!

A lot of people do think that way, some are happy with that lifestyle. Personally, working six days a week, being forced to do overtime, getting requests denied for a day off, among other things got old real fast. So I sought out other options, and I haven’t been happier since. Wealthy Affiliate is where I started and it’s been a great journey since. See you there and thanks for leaving a comment.

-Jason

Gary - 5 years ago

This is a good description of the American workplace. I too have been one of those working more than 40 hours most of my working life.

One of the frustrations you didn’t mention are those jobs where it’s so exciting, so fun, that you want to put in the extra hours, 50, 60, 80 hours a week. Then, when it’s all done and delivered, and the company has made a $billion$ or two, they lay everybody off.

I also recommend the University at Wealthy Affiliates as a place to learn the trade and create an additional stream of income. It might take years to replace a full time job, but it’s a lot more fun than those dumb TV shows you’ve been watching.

Also don’t forget about that 112 hour a week job called “stay at home mom”. They could use a fun side job as well.

Gary

Jason - 5 years ago

Hey Gary and thanks for commenting. I’ve had amusing jobs in the past, not any that made me want to stay over time. But you do make a valid point, people getting laid off occurs all too often. Especially with jobs being outsourced overseas. Be sure to visit for more posts in the furture and good luck!

-Jason

Janelle - 5 years ago

Hey Jason,
    I know it’s a sad and horrible feeling to have a job that makes you resentful or worse, I’ve been there too.
    Your story and images made me laugh out loud. Not many stories about work can do that.
    It’s all so true, thanks for the info.

Jason - 5 years ago

You are very Welcome,
      Glad I could make you laugh. Yes most of us have been there, and most believe it’s there only option. Look at how many people Live to Retire. Again nothing wrong with it, but if you have a different future in mind you can act on it simply by making a Decision.

Stephen - 5 years ago

Hi JHeard,

Great post. I didn’t know so many americans over worked that much. I agree with you that a great alternative to working a day job is wealthy affiliate. I too am a member and have loved every minute of it. I truly wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors as I can see you are trying to help out others.

Happy Blogging

Jason - 5 years ago

Thank you, I Appreciate that!

Best of luck to you as well.

Vallery - 5 years ago

Any activity that people carry out and feel that its interfering with their health and social life, will always make them to resent. The thing is that companies take advantage of the scarcity of job opportunities to exploit those looking for work simply because they care much more interested in making profit instead the well being of their employees. Its good you are recommending wealthy affiliate to some of these people, they will like it.

Jason - 5 years ago

Hey Vallery you make some great points.

I have personally experienced companies who can care less about their employees welfare and only interest is in profiting and I know I am not alone on this.

I didn’t get upset or discouraged, I found a way to do things on my own and DROP my employer.

Wealthy Affiliate gave me the opportunity to do so. I have learned and gained so much from it. I have no problem referring people to there!

Thanks for sharing

Click here to add a comment